Re: problem installing LilyPond 1.6.0 on OpenBSD - FIXED

From: Rachel Willmer
Subject: Re: problem installing LilyPond 1.6.0 on OpenBSD - FIXED
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:11:00 +0100

At 12:28 30/08/02, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Did you read what INSTALL.txt has to say about the file
lilypond-profile or lilypond-login?

Yes, I had, thanks for the suggestion though.

I fixed the problem eventually by going back to basics.

The configuration I'd had which was throwing up the error with the font file had been compiled without kpathsea. I'd done this because when I'd tried the default configuration with kpathsea, it had failed with some missing functions. So I thought I'd try it without, but obviously that gave me different problems.

So then I went back to looking at why it didn't work with kpathsea enabled, and eventually worked it out.

The problem was that by default, OpenBSD (or gcc on OpenBSD, I'm not sure which) does not include /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib in the system paths. So all I needed to get it all compiling beautifully was to set the following:

export CPPFLAGS = /usr/local/include
export LDFLAGS = /usr/local/lib

(these to get Python.h found)

and to call configure with the following options:

--with-pathsea-include=/usr/local/include --with pathsea-lib=/usr/local/lib.

And then it all compiled beautifully. (Note it did seem necessary to set both CPPFLAGS and --with-pathsea-include which surprised me a bit, I'd have thought that CPPFLAGS would have done the job for both Python and kpathsea)

Anyway, all working now, and it's a great program...

Rachel