transposition, incipit and key signature

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: transposition, incipit and key signature
Date: 16 Sep 2002 13:52:27 -0400

(I actually want a 1.6 solution to this question; I'm assuming it's
about time to start writing 1.6 usage questions to lilypond-user
rather than lilypond-devel?)

I write Renaissance music with incipits indicating the first note in
the original clef and key signature, then the ambitus with the modern
clef and key signature, and then the real start of the music,
preferably with the modern clef, and a normal key signature, without
naturals canceling any accidentals in the original key signature,
because the notes in the incipit haven't been played, or frequently
even noticed by the normal player.

What I've been doing works fine for most of my music, which is printed
in the same key signature as the original.  However, I am now doing
some transposed editions.  A common transposition is down a fourth, so
often an original key signature of one flat becomes the new key
signature of no sharps or flats.  I do not want to have a natural sign
appearing in the key signature.

I have looked at the documentation, and the examples of key signatures
in input/test/transposition.ly.  It isn't immediately obvious to me
how to write a key signature with no sharps, flats, or naturals in the:

        \property Staff.keySignature = #'((0 . 1)(3 . 1))

form.

Also, since I'm doing the transposition by means of the \transpose
feature, I would like a solution that would transpose, which I gather
from the documentation that the Staff.keySignature property does not.

That is, how should I write my key signature so that:

\key f major a \bar "|."       \key f \major a b c

prints the second key signature with one flat, but:

\key f major a \bar "|."  \transpose g {     \key f \major a b c}

"prints" a second key signature with no sharps, flats or naturals?

You would expect there to be a property to say, don't use naturals to
cancel sharps or flats in the previous signature, wouldn't you?

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139