Re: Persistent font problems

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Persistent font problems
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:58:28 +0200

> You're correct. I just did a clean font. I viewed my example with xdvi
> and tried "kpsewhich feta20.pk" again. No response again.

Strange.

> However I did notice that there is no font problem with xdvi (and the
> rests are okay, they have also been a problem)...see the attached png.

That's a good starting point!

> > xdvi -v
> xdvi version 22.05d-k

Should be OK!

> It seems the problem is the conversion from dvi to postscript. Perhaps I
> am not using the correct tools to convert to postscript?
>
> If I use dvips to convert to ps I get the attached png
> (badfont_dvips.png). A real mess.
>
> > dvips -v
> This is dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software
>
> My example with just the rests and numbers broken in the previous email
> used "ly2dvi -P -s papersize="letter" $^".
>
> Which tool should I be using? Evidently both ly2dvi and dvips are broken
> somehow (or I'm not using them correctly).

ly2dvi uses dvips.

Try the following:

export KPATHSEA_DEBUG=32
dvips yourfile.dvi 2>&1 | grep '=>'  | grep feta > dvipslist
xdvi yourfile.dvi 2>&1 | grep '=>'  | grep feta > xdvilist

This will give you two log files with paths to the font files
that dvips and xdvi use. Normally, the same fonts should be
used by both dvips and xdvi.

By the way, have you tried to print the PS file generated by
dvips. Some month ago, one guy on the list experienced font
problems when viewing the PS file in gv/ghostview/... but
they printed nicely on paper and when he sent an example file,
it looked completely normal here.

    /Mats