Re: tempo markings

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: tempo markings
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:57:20 -0800

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:45:24 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> >Three options:
> >- Place a mark (see the reference manual) in every single part of
> >your piece. Print parts.  Then go back and comment out the marks in
> >all parts apart from the first one, then print a score.
>
> That sounds very awkward for a full orchestral score.  (Not for me in
> this case but for others).

I only did it for a piano trio, and that was about three months after I
started using Lilypond -- I was young and stupid.  :)

> >- use something like \header {meter="Allegro (quarter = 120)"
> >
> That has possibilities and might solve another problem.  I'm going to
> post a question or two about vertical spacing when I get a chance.  My
> tempo marking is too close to the notes right now.

A few problems, though:
- it's icky to write out "quarter", instead of having the graphical
note.- it doesn't handle tempo changes.

> >- define a "tempopart" part which looks like this:
> >tempopart = \notes { s1  }
> >In your parts, include both the actual part and tempopart.
> >\context Staff < \violinpart \tempopart>
> >In the full score, only include the \tempopart in the first staff.
> >
> That sounds more straight forward.  I'll work on that.

Problems:
- you have to deal with that ^#(note (something "= 120) see-refman)
stuff.  I can never remember where to stick (), where to stick a comma,
etc.
- it doesn't change MIDI tempo.

The ideal solution would be to make \tempo {4=100} print ".| = 100"
automatically
via the ^#(note (something "= 120) see-refman)  stuff, in addition to changing
the MIDI stuff.  Oh, actually I guess that we should use a \mark instead of
text ^#(blah).  You get the general idea, at least.

About your other questions,
- I'll check out the linking bug (eventually, nd if nobody else does)
- "an orchestral score" is a section in the tutorial.

- Graham