tremolo implementation

From: Michal Seta
Subject: tremolo implementation
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:02:50 -0500

Hello all.

I've been fiddling with Lilypond for a few weeks now.  Today, for the first
time I started using it to actually typset some music that people will look at.

I think I've run into a bug, or maybe something I don't understand.  According
to the Norton Manual of Music Notation a tremolo, so called 'fingered',  is
written as 2 notes and the duration of the trmolo is equal to the duration of
_one_ of those notes.  The code below does almost what I need.  My comments are
included.
Why can't I fit those 2 tremolos in the same (3/4) measure?
I need a half note tremolo and quarter note within the same measure.

\header {
  title = "Tremolo"
}

\score {
  \notes\relative c' {
        \time 3/4
  \repeat tremolo 8 {c16 e}
        % if my understanding is correct trmolo 8 means 3 beams.
        % 4 = 2beams, however, I noticed that the value of the note seems to be
growing? how do I come up with the proper values?
        % c16 makes it a half note
        % d32 quarter ? and so on?
  \repeat tremolo 8 {d32 f}

oh, this is lilypond 1.6.4 (compiled from sources) on powerpc-unknown, debian
woody 2.4.18.

Best regards,

--
./MiS

Michal Seta             http://creazone.eworldmusic.com/doc/mis
CreaZone                http://www.creazone.com
No One Receiving        http://www.noonereceiving.32k.org

upcoming release:
NOR - "The Release of the Wandering-Eyed Girl"
        http://www.grainofsound.com