Re: Fis or not fis, that is the question.

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: Fis or not fis, that is the question.
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:12:15 +0100

Ralph Little wrote:

> Can anybody explain why, despite having a "fs" specified by the current key
> (for G Major), "fs" or "fis" needs to be specified, rather than just
> assuming that the key fills in the gaps?

I don't really understnad what you expect/request.
Would you like to be able to simply specify which accidentals lilypond
was to write instead of which notes they were to represent?
This would be a hell to work with.
Think of this example:

{ gis g gis gis | gis gis ges g }

This gives output (n meaning natural):

 #O nO #O O | #O O nbO nO

Would you REALLY prefer to input it like

{ gs gn gs g | gs g gnf gn }

?!?!
This way you would need to explicitly think about all the sophisticated
rules about accidental typesetting - and if you should wish to alter an
accidental-rule you would have to change all your input by hand instead
of simply replacing the accidental macro with something else.

Generally, this approach leads to a total overlap between notation and
music - actually your note entries even depend on the TIME SIGNATURE
(!!!) - if you for instance should feel like replacing 4/4 with 8/4,
then the 5th note should be g instead of gs.
No, I really don't understand why people are so unhapppy about the lily
approach. Before finding Lily, I took a look at abc and Music-TeX, and i
thought "Yikes, this is far to notation-concrete. Surely not flexible
enough!". I found Lily - and I just thought "YES, THIS IS THE WAY TO DO
IT - THIS IS WHERE I WANNA BE!"
I REALLY, REALLY, don't understand why so many of you are annoyed with
the way that lilypond works.

Did I misunderstand your request?

-Rune