Re: [OT]Re: Lute tablature

From: Michal Seta
Subject: Re: [OT]Re: Lute tablature
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 00:53:59 -0500

On Wed, 21 May 2003 00:01:35 -0400
William wrote:

> Michal, I don't know if you did what I did, but the 'from:' on this
> email is only aimed at me, no cc: in evidence. If you wanted it to go
> to the list, you'll need to remake or forward it.

argh...  I  do that all the time...

> I'm familiar with the tab program. [snip] but it doesn't do other
> notations well.

That's what turned me off.  I needed something where I could mix tab,
standard expressive marks and poetry, all in a flexible layout.

> My dream remains that Lilypond will address tab in a truely sensible
> fashion, which allows it to be useful both to modern and
> historical-focussed musicians and composers. Already, giant steps are
> being made in older notational forms for staff music. The tab is still
> very much in its infancy.

My thoughts exactly.  However, I'd be interested in contemporary
notation to appear sooner than the historical :)  but improvements to
the tab would be welcome...

>  As I said in my post, I'm at
> the point where I can look at tab, feel it in my hands and hear it in
> my head (even with some scordaturae) without having to have it
> performed for me, or even having to have a stringed instrument in my
> hands.

Well, that's because you have played the instrument for a long time and
you have a 'physical' relationship with it.  Some time ago I was able to
look at tabs in 'Guitar PLayer' or the like and 'hear' the lines
including various bends, artificial harmonics and such.  However, I
still considered it a 'lesser' notational practice (not anymore though,
I'm out of academia now :).  But I do agree that
tab is useful as performance notation.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, fantasias were mostly improvised pieces so
the transciptions are not really a 'faithful' representations of
those...  Whether they include a vocal line or not...

> I'm fascinated that you're using a guitar with a viol for modern
> compositions! That sounds really neat. My bass violist is always after
> me because I tend not to want to get into modern stuff written for
> viols(to be honest, most of what I've seen is pretty bad).

I have heard some interesting works but I can't recall the composers
now...  If you want I can dig out the info.  I heard some works
performed by Les Voix Humaines and I think they might have recorded them
but I'm not sure.

> Have you done
> anything that doesn't require moving the frets on the viol, and might
> even be scored in regular notation? (The guitar part can be anything,
> I can read notation, tab, change the tuning and whatever. But Jennifer
> is reluctant to consider trying to read period notation, and has
> avoided tab like it's a plague!)

No.  I always like to complicate mine and others' life... But, luckily,
Lorne was into trying new things.  I use primarily linux and scoring,
especially microtonal music, isn't easy on this platform without major
hacking.  I almost used CMN but then opted for tab because it was so
much easier to: 1) write down whatever i was trying to do on guitar
(both instruments are tuned the same way) and 2) sight-read without
scratching your head every bar or so.

  If you want to hear some improvised
electronic music using gamba, prepared guitar, computers and keyboards
don't miss http://www.noonereceiving.32k.org. (sorry, couldn't resist
the plug)

Otherwise, I'm planning to release the piece I'm about finish which is
written for 2 spoken word performers, gamba, guitar and computer.  The
instruments are tuned in Just Intonation.  The score and the software
will be a free download.  They will be of not much use because I don't
know many guitarists who are eager to rip off their frets and replace
them with pieces of wires and then relearn the instrument...

> Anyway, I appreciate the response, and the pointer to the tab program
> is a good one, as long as you aren't trying to make an integrated
> edition with tab and modern notation.

That's why I stick with lilypond.

--
              _