Re: caesura

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: caesura
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 04:32:33 -0700

On Mon, 26 May 2003 12:29:36 +0200
Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > Here's a scan of a caesura captured in the wild.
> >
> >   http://daniel.ashtonfam.org/caesura.gif
> >
> > This is from some Canadian Brass music published by Hal Leonard.  The
> > scan contains two examples of the notation in question.
>
> This is a scan of computer generated (oh no), American typesetting (oh
> no).  I prefer to see a hand-engraved European edition.

I'm not certain if this has come up before, but you can see a different
kind of caesura in input/test/divisiones.ly

The kind of caesura that Daniel and I are more familiar with is a bigger
version of that symbol, and doubled (two slashes).  Maybe some people
started putting two of them together in order to make it easier to see
the difference between a virgula and a caesura?  There's probably some
interesting history in the evolution of that mark.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham