how to include various ascii characters (like: !) in the text?

From: ario
Subject: how to include various ascii characters (like: !) in the text?
Date: 17 Jun 2003 05:31:43 +0200

If I include a '!' in the lyrics, lilypond complains.
I tried using typing "!", and '!' but none works.
I need this feature to use the complete Cyrillic character set.
Does anybody know how to include all ascii characters?
Having to input the ascii numbering would do too for me.

thanks,
arie - very happy with the Lilypond results until now...