Re: Project - Emacs mode extensions for LilyPond

From: Michal Seta
Subject: Re: Project - Emacs mode extensions for LilyPond
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 00:12:05 -0500

On 31 Jul 2003 21:18:59 -0400
Francois wrote:

> Would someone have some experience about these two?  Does Jack run on top
> of ALSA, or OSS, or something else?  What generality are we seeking here?
> Is it theoretical?  I mean, what would be the practical advantages of
> using Jack over ALSA?

jMax is probably of no interest here (other than it speaks MIDI and one can
program some algo processes and send them to rumor, for instance, to generate
the score or generate .ly file altogether).

Another example of the same paradigm (and a little less fussy) is pure-data:
www.pure-data.org

Jack is an audio layer, on top of ALSA, for real time audio applications.  It
offers low latency in real-time audio and allows multiple applications (jack
clients) to operate at the same time and even send each other audio.  But it is
 audio only, no MIDI functionnality whatsoever.  Think ReWire (if you ever used
Windose) but probably better (I never used ReWire).

What is interesting (if one tries to bring the discussion on topic) is that
fluid synth (formerly known as iiwu synth) which is mainly used to play
soundfonts (as timidity does, among other things) is jack-aware.  So, one could
send the output of fluid synth to a multitrack (ecasound, ardour etc) and
record it for further processing or simply send it through various effects
(jackrack, freqtweak, ecamegapedal and other jackified apps).

It would be nice, however, to have lily generate MIDI "intelligently" so that
the playback would be real nice, following markup, dynamics and such.  Anyone
familiar with Igor Engraver (www.noteheads.com).  Their MIDI playback is really
superior to any notation sw I've ever tried (but some other aspects lack
substance).

I do like the ideas about emacs in this  thread.  I'm not a developer, but how
about considering to use an existing sequencing library, like
http://tse3.sourceforge.net/, rather than writing, from scratch, something that
will communicate with ALSA sequencer...  But I don't know, perhaps I'm just
talking nonsense.  And I haven't yet tried the existing implementation but it
might be nice to allow the user to choose between using an external MIDI device
or _any_ soft synth.  But I'm sure someone has already thought about it...

-- ./MiS
              _
      __  __ (_)___   Michal Seta
    /        V |_  \ @creazone.32k.org