Re: guitar music: do I have to treat it as 2 voices?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: guitar music: do I have to treat it as 2 voices?
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 12:18:25 -0400

On Sunday 03 August 2003 02:06 am, arie-lily wrote:
> Thanks, in the mean time indeed I found out that working with two
> voices is the solution. If I'd known that someone would bother after
> all this time to answer my question, I'd have warned that I found the
> solution. Thanks :)

Everybody has to find time...

You will probably find it better to use an extra "global" or
"utility" voice, for putting in your bars, key sigs., etc.,
and also for the occasional invisible part, for example to
attach markups where it is not convenient to have them attached
to actual notes.  You need four voices, *minimum*, to typeset three
parts on one staff with lilypond.

If your piece is complicated, in spite of having only two parts,
you might use sly and make two versions of your .ly file, one
of which sets your piece on three staves.  If you put scripts
in your local directory like ./up1 and ./up3, you can bring up
either or both versions from the same notes without modification.

http://www.openguitar.com

DaveA

--
The biggest losers of all are the winners of an unjust war.  Bush lied.
Thousands died.  Only the winning part is over.  It is necessary that
WMD be found, so they will be.      darnold4 at cox.net