Re: More on Polish

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: More on Polish
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:31:26 +0200

Laura Conrad wrote:
"aaron" == aamehl  <Aaron> writes:

    aaron> On would think that the Russian thread would be of
    aaron> help. Did you read it?? I will look to see if I have it. If
    aaron> you can't find it and think the hebrew stuff could help
    aaron> you, write me off list and I can send it to you.

I'd expect Polish to be more like Scandinavian than like Russian or
Hebrew.  That is, it's Latin-2, not some completely different
alphabet.  But using the magic word in the Scandinavian thread:

  \translator{
    \ScoreContext
    LyricText  \override #'font-name = #"ecrm1000"
  }

The font file ecrm1000 belongs to the European Computer Modern family
of fonts that contains (as far as I know) the Latin1 characters and
some more. For the scandinavian characters I've used, the character code
in the font coincides with the character code in Latin1, but that's not
true for all the characters, probably including the Polish ones you
tried to access.

Note that for the Latin1 characters, you will get the desired output
from Lilypond even if you didn't set the font-name. The only advantage
of the setting above is to get rid of some warnings and to help Lilypond
calculate the width of each syllable more accurately. The latin1 input
encoding used by default in ly2dvi, translates all the special
characters into TeX commands such as \"a which TeX by default produces
using the standard cmr fonts by combining several glyphs from the font.
When you in LaTeX also specify the font encoding T1 (instead of the
default OT1), the command is translated back into the character code
used in the specific font (ecrm...). Since Lilypond doesn't use the
font selection mechanism of LaTeX, this means that you also have to
hack the ly2dvi output and add \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} if you use
the above setting of font-name.

Back to Polish, where my knowledge is very scarce. You can always
access the characters using TeX commands such as \l, see below.
If you want to use to be able to write the characters directly
in your editor, you should
1. Add the correct \usepackage[XXX]{inputenc} and (optionally)
  \usepackage[YYY]{fontenc} (XXX and YYY are unknown to me, ask
  someone who uses LaTeX for Polish documents). Since ly2dvi
  is more or less hard-coded to use only ipnut encoding latin1,
  you either have to use ly2dvi -k and edit the ly2dvi.dir/*.latex
  file or use lilypond-book.
2. Find out which font file is used in ordinary LaTeX documents
   by the above combination of input and font encoding and
   set the font-name property to use that font.

doesn't help very much.  (I think it got me one of the five characters
I was trying to get.)

So if you can send me a simple file that gets Hebrew Lyrics, yes, I'll
look at it and see if it helps.
For 1.10, or 2.0 or whatever the next real rev is, can we get LaTeX
constructs in lyrics?  Such as \l and \k{a}?

It has always been possible to include LaTeX constructs in lyrics,
try "\\l" and "\\k{a}".

      /Mats