clashes

From: Ed Sutton
Subject: clashes
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:08:37 -0700

a while back, i had entered several instrument parts for songs that were
passed out to students in the band class i was in. the origionals were not in
good shape and the copies we had were even worse. now that i just got lily up
today, i decided to try transfering them into lily to see how it would come
out. the ETF files failed and it said it crashed lily, but i remember reading
that blank measures cause errors and i think i still had a few of them, if
not other problems that arent handled right. i tried importing midi files of
it, and found that both fidi files i formed (instruments receiving their own
tracks or not) had made lily generate a sheet with 1 staff. i didnt seem to
notice any options about controlling that further through the midi converter
of lily. when it did that, i noticed that the pdf had many notes clustered in
chords. with so many notes and how tight it fit things in, there were
occurences of where a stem of one note connected to a sharp of another note
and other similar clashes. also i noticed that in the 'instruments on their
own track' import that things were spaced a but better, but i saw beams that
would pass the edge of the stem that they were connected to. those sightings
were within the pdf. my system apparently is not configured to open the dvi
files and complains about missing fonts if opened in the kde viewer for dvi
files. is it suggested to work with the dvi, ps, or pdf for output? im using
the 1.8 version of lily. my guesses for what may have happened with the
clashes was that the midi file converted lead to multiple instruments being
printed on the same staff, but as if they were each printer to their own
staff on a seperate run. perhapse there were two overlapping staves? the
beaming appears to be a minor detail, but by what u guys wrote on your
webpage, its the minor details that you like to work so hard to find and
perfect. i can send the lily, pdf, or other files if it is of help, but didnt
want to clutter this email with attachments. also i do not know if this email
goes straight to the publically accessible archives with attachments and
would probably need to check if i can just start making my copies of the
music publically available. if it comes to that, ill try to analyze the music
enough to generate samples that create the same troubles i noticed in my
files. let me know what would be preferred if i can be of further help on
this.
thanks again for the great product,
Ed Sutton