Re: dvips Problem, Round II

From: David Boersma
Subject: Re: dvips Problem, Round II
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 21:03:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Will Oram wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it's not my code's fault.
>
> After five test files -- three from Mutopia, one from examples, and one
> from templates -- the same error occurs. The simplest code that I used,
> for example (found here:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v1.8/input/template/out-www/lily-1028983572.ly
> ):
>
> % Generated automatically by: lilypond-book.py
> % options are
> filename=/home/hanwen/usr/src/savannah/lily/lilypond-1.8/input/
> template/piano.ly printfilename
> \include "paper16.ly"
> \paper  {
>    linewidth = 455.244096\pt
>

> }
> \version "1.7.18"

Hello Will,

Could you please also give:

1. the exact command line you give
2. the output of the commands "lilypond --version" and "ly2dvi --version"

I ask this because in a previous mail you stated that you installed 1.8,
but in the diagnostics output I saw version 1.6.9 printed in some of the
the paths.  So my suspicion is that in the installation something else
happened than you expected (did fink do its job right? Maybe there was
already a version of lilypond included in your MacOS X version?).  If the
Lily on your machine is actually still version 1.6.9 then she won't be so
clairvoyant as to know what to do with ly-source intended for version
1.7.18+ and then latex and dvips will again get zero inputs.

Since AFAICS this test file actually does not contain superrecent features
it would be interesting to see what happens if you remove the \version
line, or replace the number with for exemple 1.6.9.  If my suspicion is
correct, that should give considerably different results.

Ciao!
David Boersma