Re: Newbie question

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Newbie question
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:46:11 -0700

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:14:45 -0300
Ricardo Kirkner <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > 1- How do you tell lilypond to typeset all brackets of equal lenghts
> > > (or at least not each bracket out of two on a different lenght).
> >
> > I don't know what you mean by this.  Could you give an example?
>
> I that lily prints something like this (in ascii)
>
> | some notes | == 1 bracket

Ah, I see.  In North America, a "bracket" is normally called a "bar".

> |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |

You can force that behaviour by including invisible sixteenth notes
in every bar.  (or, if you use notes faster than a 16th, use invisible
32nds)

However, unless your needs are quite special (such as producing a worksheet
for students to fill in), I don't recommend doing this.  LilyPond does a
great job of spacing music beautifully.

> > > 2- How do you put some words before the Staff and get no errors in the
> > > process (i have tried to use the instrument property, but then lily
> > > claims the word is not an instrument - in this case Soprano, for
> > > example)
> >
> > Do you mean "how do you name an instrument"?  I'm sure that's covered
> > in the manual or examples, but here it is:
> >
> > \property Staff.instrument = #"foo"
> >

> I have tried exactly that, but when I compile I get warnings about foo not
> being an instrument. I know it's just a warning, but I was wondering if it
> there is another way of doing this that doesn't produce warnings.

Please provide an example and tell us what version you're using.  Are you
setting the midiInstrument property instead of instrument?

Cheers,
- Graham