multiple markups when combining voices on single staff

From: Niki Pantelias
Subject: multiple markups when combining voices on single staff
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 11:57:45 -0400

  Hello everyone,

  I'm trying to make a score which has several voices on a staff.  I'm using
identifiers to define each voice separately so that I can use the same input
file to print out individual parts.  Each definition contains its own dynamic
and articulation markings, etc.

  The problem I'm seeing is that when the multiple voices are printed on the
single staff, I get multiple instances of some markings.  For instance, if I
have three voices on the staff, notes which are marked staccato get three
dots over them.  Dynamic markings seem to "merge" just fine -- i.e. the score
says "mp" just once even though the "mp" marking appears in the definition of
each voice -- but this doesn't seem to be the case for other markings.

  Below I've embedded a simple test case which exhibits this behavior.

  Does anyone know how I can fix this?

  thanks,
  -- Niki

%
% TEST FILE
% to learn version 2.0.0

\include "english.ly"

papersize = "letter"
\include "paper20.ly"

SaxOneConcertPitch =
  \context Voice
  \notes
  \relative c'
  {
   \key c \major
   \time 4/4
   \partial 2..

    r8 r4 r2 |               % rest in pickups
    r2 g'4.\mp f8-. | r1 |
    r2 g4. f8-. | r1 |
  }

SaxTwoConcertPitch =
  \context Voice
  \notes
  \relative c'
  {
   \key c \major
   \time 4/4
   \partial 2..

    r8 r4 r2 |               % rest in pickups
    r2 e4.\mp d8-. | r1 |
    r2 e4. d8-. | r1 |
  }

SaxThreeConcertPitch =
  \context Voice
  \notes
  \relative c'
  {
   \key c \major
   \time 4/4
   \partial 2..

    r8 r4 r2 |               % rest in pickups
    r2 a4.\mp g8-. | r1 |
    r2 a4. g8-. | r1 |
  }

\score {