"functions" in lilypond

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: "functions" in lilypond
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:19:06 -0400

Hello, all --

I know you can set up predefined "variables" containing a bunch of different directives (including notes, tweaks, markings, etc.), but can you set up "functions" where the "parameters" can be decided at "runtime"?

For example, can I set up a "tuplet within a quadruplet, with slurs between notes 2 and 4, a phrasing slur over the whole thing, and a crescendo on the last two notes" and supply the specific pitches only when I actually use the "stamp":

    \myCoolNoteSetDefinition {bes a c b cis cisis d}

Thanks!
Kieren.