Re: Help with fonts

From: Robert de Vries
Subject: Re: Help with fonts
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:20:38 +0200

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 11:16, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> The .map file is probably OK, but the critical thing is that the
> feta*.pfa files really belong to your current LilyPond version.
>
> What does
> grep CreationDate `kpsewhich feta20.pfa`
> return?
%%CreationDate: Mon Sep 29 03:59:26 2003

> The flag -u -lilypond.map tells dvips to use the scalable fonts
> *.pfa instead of bitmap fonts *.*pk in the Postscript.
> You won't see much of a difference in the .ps file unless you
> magnify it but it makes a huge difference in how PDF files
> appear on screen.
>
> By the way, could you clarify more exactly what you mean by
> "look dreadful".

The notes only have stems, no note heads or flags (or what do you call them in
English).

I noticed you mentioning -u -lilypond.map, the lilypond script uses -u
+lilypond.map.

The commandline used to generate ps output looks like this:
dvips  -ta4 -Ppdf -G0 -u -lilypond.map -oFranc_berger.ps Franc_berger.dvi
I cannot find the -G and the -u option in the dvips I have.
dvips tells me that it is:
This is dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)

Maybe I need a higher version of dvips?

        Robert