Re: (Artificial) harmonics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: (Artificial) harmonics
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:10:42 +0200

The syntax isn't much of a problem. You could define your own command:
nh = \notes {\once \property Thread.NoteHead \set #'style = #'harmonic }

and use it like '\nh c4'.

Also for the artificial harmonic it can be done, but you would have to
do a Scheme function since it has to calculate the position of the
diamond shaped note.

This is the power of LilyPond. There are thousands of different things
you can do by setting different properties. It's impossible to include
shortcut definitions of every possible feature but it's easy for every
user to define shortcuts for his own favourites.

   Mats

Maarten Boasson wrote:
I am newcomer to Lilypond, and I like what I see - which to date is only
very little.
Almost immediately I ran into a problem: artificial harmonics (cello
music; the problem is the same for all string instruments, of course).
The solution to that problem came through interaction with Lilypond from
A. Beneteau, who sent me the follwowing exxample:
---
\score {
    \notes
    \new Staff { << { \property Voice.NoteHead \set #'style = #'harmonic
g'} \\ {c'4} >> }
}

Note very obvious, nor short to type, but this is the idea
---
This indeed works. But, I don't think the solution is worthy of
Lilypond: the noteheads are really just a little too small and the entry
is much more cumbersome than necessary, I would think.
For an example, see the attached extract from S. Saens' 3rd violin
concerto: it is clear that the diamond-shaped heads actually cross the
staff lines when the note is between the lines!

My desire would be to have a syntax like the following (but not
necessarily this; anything else that fits better with the Lilypond style
is fine, of course):

        c\ah        for artificial harmonics, in which case Lilypond would
automatically create the two noteheads that represent this in printed
music: the lower, regular note at the pitch specified, and an open,
diamond shaped one a fourth above it (see attached); for the very rare
case that a different interval is used, an additional modifier could be
used;

d\nh for natural harmonics, where only the diamond shaped head is
printed at the specified pitch.

Maarten Boasson

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing