Re: (Artificial) harmonics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: (Artificial) harmonics
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:42:42 +0200

Maarten Boasson wrote:
I am newcomer to Lilypond, and I like what I see - which to date is only
very little.
Almost immediately I ran into a problem: artificial harmonics (cello
music; the problem is the same for all string instruments, of course).
The solution to that problem came through interaction with Lilypond from
A. Beneteau, who sent me the follwowing exxample:
---
\score {
    \notes
    \new Staff { << { \property Voice.NoteHead \set #'style = #'harmonic
g'} \\ {c'4} >> }
}

This is probably not what you want, the two notes should share the same
stem, right? The trick to obtain this is to put the two notes in
separate Thread contexts:

harm = \notes {\once \property Thread.NoteHead \set #'style = #'harmonic }

\score {
    \notes
    \new Voice { << c'4 \new Thread {\harm f'} >> }
}

How could you have found out?
- Search the mailing list archives.
- Find the example http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#note-head-style.ly

I agree that this is something that should be in the manual.

   /Mats