Re: replace chords by text in chordnames

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: replace chords by text in chordnames
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:51:48 -0400

On Friday 10 October 2003 03:03 pm, José Luis Cruz wrote:
> Ok, thanks. I think that I'll try to make an invisible staff with
> markups, maybe this night, dunno :) Oh! I've read your ten lessons.
> Nice job. And i have two questions related to it:
> in section 4.5,  how did you put that line in the triplets with beam?

This is what I did.  I don't know whether it would still work.

\property Voice.tupletSpannerDuration = #(make-moment 1 4)
\property Voice.TupletBracket \set #'tuplet-bracket-visibility = ##t

> I'm wondering how to put a thick slur over the"3" like appears in
> many jazz scores.

Just use a slur or phrase mark, but only if you really want a slur.
That was popular a few decades ago for tuplets.  The idea was that
one should use curved brackets over beams and square brackets in all
other cases.  The problem of course is that there is no such thing
as a curved bracket because it's a slur.

Schott's etc., and Lilypond's, solution is to make the brackets too
thin, so they cannot be confused with beams.  That sucks because you
really can't write that way by hand.

The solution is to use bent brackets only.  It is a very great
improvement.  I thought that I had invented them first, but soon found
that they had been used by Filipinos for some time. :-)

/--3--\ instead of |--3--|  ( \_  _/, |__  __| )

I use them in all handwritten scores, but I don't know how to get them
in lilypond.  I would use them for every tuplet at stem ends and beams,
with all beams in line in all cases.  As it stands, the "correct"
notation of complex tuplets looks like caco no matter who publishes it.

> But it's true I've not searched too much for that,
> there were more important things first...

I hear that.

> And, have you considered using the package gchord instead of using
> verbatim for the chords diagrams?

Of course I didn't, I hadn't seen it.  What I was planning to use was
the code page 437 box characters, which are free to use from IBM,
AFAIK, but I didn't know how to do that, and still don't.  Like you
said, other priorities....

> You can take a look at my current project, I'm "latex-lilyponding";)
> many music material from my classes. I just started to, so there is
> no much material yet. I advice that it's in spanish. You can take
> ideas (I've taken from yours also hehe) )
>
> The file is 92 kB, i think it's not excesive for sending

Thanks!  I'd love to see it.

> I'm learning very much latex and lilypond in the process. In pages
> 9 and 10(test pages by now) you can see the diagrams made with
> gchord.

Looking forward to it.  daveA

--
Br`er Fox told Br`er Rabbit that the Tar Baby had dissed him, and Fox
made a