Re: instrument-name

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: instrument-name
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:16:58 -0700

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:27:30 +0000
David Bobroff <address@hidden> wrote:
> I want to add instrument names to a score.  I don't want them in the
> parts.  The different parts in the score are all eventually defined as
> \staffA \staffB etc.
>
> Shouldn't I be able to define something like
>
> staffAnameA = \context Staff nameA <<
>       \property Staff.instrument = "NameA"
>       \property Staff.instr = "nA"
>       \staffA
> >>

> ?
>
> The above produces a score with an extra staff for each instrument.  One
> with the instrument name and nothing but a blank staff, plus the staff
> with the music.

Is the one with a blank staff above the one with the music?  I bet
that you defined staffA as a \context Staff instead of as a \context Voice.
When Lily sees a \context Staff, it makes a new one.

If you give each staff the same name, you should be able to avoid that:
\context Staff=foo <<
        bar

If that doesn't solve it, then it might be a good idea to submit an example
that demonstrates it.

Cheers,
- Graham