Re: hairpins ending at line break (or bar line)

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: hairpins ending at line break (or bar line)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:32:51 -0500

Hello, Mats:

I hope you realize the difference between
In the latter case, two separate voices will be created where the
first one has the stems pointing up and the second one pointing down.

If you just want to add some simultaneous spacing notes to insert the
dynamics and don't want to affect the stem directions, you should use
<< { d4 c\trill } { s4\> s8. s16\! } >> without the '\\'.

Thanks for the tip! I do indeed understand the difference -- i.e., the creation of a new voice context -- but I hadn't considered the (totally logical, and in this case perfect) possibility of combining the "real" notes with the "fake" (dynamic-attached) notes.

This solves the stem direction problem, but still not the spacing issue:

Best regards,
Kieren.