using "embedded" fonts outside Lilypond [REVISITED]

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: using "embedded" fonts outside Lilypond [REVISITED]
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:29:22 -0500

[ Mac OS X 10.2.8;  Lilypond 2.0.1 ]

Hello, Mats et al:

I am hoping -- planning (!) -- to use Lilypond as the basis application for a music publishing company I am currently founding. This means I need access to the highest possible (i.e., true PostScript) resolution for all score objects, so I can do fine-tuning in a graphics application (e.g., Illustrator) and then send the final result to a printer for plate production and offset printing.

However, since Illustrator (for example) seems to handle Lilypond-embedded fonts poorly, the ps2ps process with which I am currently experimenting is insufficient (e.g., time signatures and dynamics come out very "jaggy"). Therefore, I need a way to make all the fonts used by Lilypond/TeX/Fink available to the rest of Mac OS X (especially Illustrator).

Any idea how I can do that, or where I might look to get documentation on such a process?

Thanks,
Kieren.