Re: constructive criticism

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: constructive criticism
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 01:01:35 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> >     If you are looking for something,
> >     and you cannot find it by using the index, that is considered a bug.
> >     In that case, please file a bug report.
>
> What if you allowed users to do it in smaller bites?

How much smaller than a bugreport can a bite be?

> Would you consider a "manual with comments" (like php and mysql have) on
> the web, or even a wiki manual?
>
> The "manual with comments" would allow the users to easily make comments
> on the manual, and you could incorporate changes from (or based on) the
> comments into the manual as time permits.

Frankly, I think this is going in the wrong direction.  There is a
tendency for people to try and solve problems with technological
solutions -in this case a glitzy websity thing, that will take you a
lot of time to build before it is even productive.

I'm OK with everything, as long as it improves the documentation *and*
decreases the time that I have to spend on it. In practice, this means
that I don't want to setup the site, monitor it, get the patches, or
edit the text.  This means that in the end, someone has to take the
text out of the site, and put it into .texinfo to produce patch for me
to integrate. Why not edit the texinfo source directly, and send a
patch?