Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for sugges

From: Nick Busigin
Subject: Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for suggestions")
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:14:24 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:

> What makes sense to me (and, perhaps, no one else?) is a dozen or more
> "standard" examples -- like the Satie and Schumann pieces, but widely
> ranging in "purposes", and intentionally developed as teaching/learning
> aids -- used as step-by-step guides.

Kieren, what you are suggesting definitely makes sense.  The more
examples the better, especially if they are written in a style and with
comments that make it easy to follow what you are doing with the lily
code and possibly why.

> Nick Busigin wrote:
>
> > Having a collection of well documented/commented complete examples
> > (bookcases) is a very good idea.  Fortunately such a collection exists:
> > the mutopia project:
>
> I agree that this is a good place to start. However, unlike Nick, I
> have not found the Mutopia examples to be "liberally documented", and
> certainly not in an "instructional" style (but rather in an
> "informative" style -- a very different thing).

I don't disagree with your assessment.  My purpose was merely to point
out that a resource exists something along the lines of what you want.
So, you definitely have a place to put the examples you develop.  In the
mean time, there are examples which I'm starting to dig into and learn
from.

While we are on the topic of examples, my wife and I would be interested
in contributing a complete lead sheet example.  However, we don't wish
to place the composition in the public domain.  I think that rules
Mutopia out.  Is there a license other than a public domain one that we
could use and still allow free distribution of the lead sheet and the
lily code?

                                    Nick

Nick Busigin                                             address@hidden
            Visit Our Indie Jazz CD Construction Project!