Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for sugges

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for suggestions")
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:52:04 +0100

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 14.14, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2004 17:30, Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:
> > Nick:
> > > Kieren, what you are suggesting definitely makes sense.  The more
> > > examples the better, especially if they are written in a style and
> > > with comments that make it easy to follow what you are doing with
> > > the lily code and possibly why.
> >
> > Well said!
> >
> > > My purpose was merely to point out that a resource exists
> > > something along the lines of what you want.
>
> Mutopia can be very helpful, but there are problems with the
> files there as examples:
>
> 1.  It is not clear before download what version of lilypond was used to
> create a file.  There is a very nice footer at the bottom of
Yes it is. Open the "more information" link when browsing the music. There is
a field "Typeset using:" which says which lily ver that was used (it might
not be shown for all of the oldest files in the archive though).

> 2.  There are mistakes.  For example, in Mutopia-2004/01/05-380
> the first note is not dotted and 34 or so dots are just missing.
> (The lower part should be dotsDown.)

There are lots of pieces on Mutopia that were written by newbies. Among these
are my own early contributions, starting with Bach's Violin Partita I
(mutopia id 180) which was the first piece I ever did typeset with lilypond.
It is not very well typeset.

However, if you are a newbie, and you have a problem which you don't know how
to solve, then one solution is to find some notes on Mutopia that apparently
solve this problem, and see how it has been done there. It will not
necessarily be The Best solution, but will be a solution.

And if you find that your dots disappear, then this id 380 piece is not where
you would look for answers (since it doesn't solve that particular problem).

As a source for examples of how to use lilypond, I find Mutopia excellent. I
have often used it. For me, it certainly did lower the threshold of starting
to write scores in lilypond, which I find quite important (e.g., I could make
use of features I didn't fully understand, such as polyphony).

just my 2 cents.. but I agree with you that mutopia neither guarantees quality
nor correctness, it only guarantees that the files are being typeset with
lilypond :)

Erik