chord/tie/voicing help

From: Ray McKinney
Subject: chord/tie/voicing help
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:31:58 -0800 (PST)

I've attached a small PNG file to illustrate something similar to my situation.
Here is the source for it:
  \notes { \time 3/4 << <f' g'>4 \\ b4 >> <g' e' c' g>2 }

What I want to do is, keeping the stem layout in the example, tie the top G
between the chords.

I know the answer for creating ties into/out of chords is to use multiple
voices, and I've done that successfully in all other cases I've encountered.
But this situation raises the problem of notehead placement for the F and G.
I'm assuming I'll need to manually shift the G to the right and hide its stem.
I think I can do this given enough time in the manual/regression tests/list
archives and some trial and error. Before I do that, I'd like guidance. Is it
the best way? If I shift the G, will I have to manually tweak the start point
of the tie, too?

Breaking the second chord causes a few problems, too. I'm assuming I need to
use two voices -  g'2 and \stemUp <e' c' g>2. This causes stem clashes and
lilypond complains. Is this the best way?

Finally, something not in the example is the second chord in my real piece is a
dotted half. Doing \stemUp on notes that originally had stems down leaves the
dots in stems-down position. Is there an easy way to shift the dots up I'm
missing, or do I need to just manually move their position?

I'm not necessarily asking for someone to give me the code to do this, but I am
seeking guidance or reassurance that I'm on the right track from those of you
with much more experience.

Thanks!
Ray