having trouble finding a packaged version of Lilypond

From: Peter Dobratz
Subject: having trouble finding a packaged version of Lilypond
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:42:02 -0500

Hi all,

I first started using Lilypond during the 1.4.x days.  Looking over
some of my sources that I was in the middle of updating for Mutopia I
see \version 1.6.6 in the header.  Right now I'm at the point where I
want to get back to working on the sources and I can't seem to find a
suitable Lilypond install.  Let me first of all congratulate all the
developers on all their hard work.  Often Lilypond improves too fast
for me to keep up and with every new version there are quite a lot of
useful new features.

My primary system is Debian Unstable (i386), but the only version
available in the archive is 2.1.0 (which I assume is quite out of date
by now).

I also have an iBook laptop dual booting to OS X (10.2.8) and Yellow
Dog Linux.  I just tried to install Fink and upgrade to the correct
tree to get Lilypond 2.0.1, but without success.

I actually have a copy of Virtual PC for Mac on order and I guess I'll
try installing Lilypond for Windows on it (though, I'd be the first to
admit that this setup would be one of the most convoluted things ever
thought up).

I guess my question is, based on my operating systems, what is my best
option for installing Lilypond (preferably version 2.0.x)?  My next
plan right now would be to uninstall the Lilypond 2.1.0 package from
my Debian unstable machine and attempt to compile 2.0.3, though I'm
not looking forward to dealing with the possible effects of such an
action.

Thanks,
Peter