All MIDI Instruments Are Piano

From: Will Oram
Subject: All MIDI Instruments Are Piano
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:47:57 -0500

I jumped on fink's latest 2.1.26 release. I had to spend a lot of time using ly-convert, since this is the first release I've had that used the new /override applications.

Although it looks more or less fine -- need to give a closer look -- one thing bugs me. (Well, two.)

First, ties aren't recognised in MIDI anymore. This has been reported at least twice already, so I'll stop there.

Second, all MIDI instruments have been set to default (ie, piano). In an orchestral score, that's all there is...piano. Here are a few sample instruments where the MIDI instruments are set:

    \context StaffGroup ="strings" <<
        \context GrandStaff = "upper_strings" <<
                \context Staff = "violin_one" <<
                        \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"string ensemble 1"
\set Staff.instrument = \markup { \center < "Violino I" > } \set Staff.instr = \markup { \center < "Vl." > }
                                \barlines
                                \theFirstViolins >>
                        \context Staff = "violin_two" <<
                        \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"string ensemble 1"
\set Staff.instrument = \markup { \center < "Violino II" > }
                                \barlines
                                \theSecondViolins >>

                \context Staff = "viola" <<
                        \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"string ensemble 1"
\set Staff.instrument = \markup { \center < "Viola" > } \set Staff.instr = \markup { \center < "Vla." > }
                        \barlines
                        \theViolas >>
                \context GrandStaff = "lower_strings" <<
                        \context Staff = "violincello" <<
\set Staff.midiInstrument = #"string ensemble 1" \set Staff.instrument = \markup { \center < "Violoncello" > } \set Staff.instr = \markup { \center < "Vc." > }
                                \barlines
                                \theCellos >>

                        \context Staff ="contrabass" <<
                        \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"contrabass"
\set Staff.instrument = \markup { \center < "Contrabasso" > }
                        \set Staff.instr = \markup { \center < "B." > }
                        \barlines
                        \theBass >>

I haven't gotten to study the particulars of the new \set, \override, etc., so I just mass-fed them through ly-convert. Is there some particular here I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Will Oram
spamguy ^^AT^^ foxchange.com // william.oram ^^AT^^ cwru.edu // AIM spamguy21