Re: [ot] SPAM/Worm problem

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: [ot] SPAM/Worm problem
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:37:20 +0100

> MK> c) reject every mail containing attachments other than .ly or .png.

Hm.. but this will not help once there are worms based on .ly :)

> * I just received a Bagle.C message apparently from me (well, from my
> address@hidden self) on the closed-post development list.  This happened
> despite the fact that the list is closed-for-posting and I work on an
> UltraSPARC machine where Microsoft software does not run.

That's weird.. you mean that you were not infected by that worm? Then, where
did those messages come from?

> * The specific suggestion to block ZIP files will close the current
> pathway by which some requests for help are sent.  The standard response
> to a user whose message has been blocked because it is too large is to
> suggest that she or he ZIP the file demonstrating the problem and send
> it as an attachment.  Are we, as a group, ready to say to someone needing
> help "You need to reduce your problem to one that will fit into XXX bytes"?

How about this: zip files are rare, but sometimes useful. A solution that is
nicer than forbidding all zip (,exe,pif,doc..) files, could be to filter out
all messages with suspicious content. Then all such messages would have to be
approved by a list moderator before getting to the list.

(and yes, I know Han-Wen and Jan have better things to spend their time on
than approving messages.. but I'm sure there's some person on the list
willing to act as a co-moderator)

Erik