getting started

From: Mitch Rothstein
Subject: getting started
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:56:48 -0500

I'm trying to get going with lilypond. I've always been a mac user, recently switched from OS 9 to OX. My attempt to obtain lilypond consisted of

1. downloading fink

2. Editing fink.conf to include unstable/main among the Trees.

3. executing <x-tad-bigger>fink selfupdate-cvs</x-tad-bigger>.

4. exectuting<x-tad-bigger> fink install lilypond-unstable</x-tad-bigger>

A few hours later I had lots of .gz files in my /sw/src folder, among which I found lilypond-2.1.26.tar.gz. I unzipped that, and it expanded to a folder called lilypond-2.1.26, containing lots of promising stuff. I created a file called test.ly, containing the text

<x-tad-bigger>\score {
\notes { c'4 e' g' }
}
</x-tad-bigger>

The command

lilypond test.ly

produces the response

lilypond: command not found.

Similarly with ly2dvi

So I guess the formatting engine is kicking around somewhere, but where? Thanks.

Mitch Rothstein