Re: ess-tset again

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: ess-tset again
Date: 02 Mar 2004 10:07:54 +0000

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 09:08, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> I think I understand now what's going on.
> Isn't it that you in normal LaTeX with german babel write
> "s (without any backslash) to get the ess-tset?
> In text markups, some characters have to be escaped, for example
> you have to write \\ to get a single \ in the generated output,
> \" to get a " and so on (one reason is that " is used to indicate
> the end of the text script). In lyrics, the syntax is slightly
> different and these extra backslashes should not be used.

95% right.  I just tried it and it works, with one exception.  If the
ess-tset is coded as '"s' it outputs a real ess-tset unless it is
preceded by a space in the lyrics input (for hyphenation).  The vowels
with umlauts do not need to be escaped as you indicated (although for
the vowels it was working with or without the '\').  Now, maybe the
ess-tset should never be at the beginning of a syllable but at the end.
In that case, problem solved.

In this instance the word is "heissen" (with ess-tset, of course).
Should it be "heiss - en" or "hei - ssen"?  Or does the ess-tset get
broken up thusly: "heis - sen"?  I know just enough about German to be
completely unsure.

> So, (I haven't tried this, but am quite confident that it's correct),
> if you use lilypond-book on a LaTeX file with german babel you should
> use "s in the lyrics and \"s in the text scripts to get your desired
> symbol. However, as I wrote in my previous answer, if you also add
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> and make sure NOT to have
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> in your file header, then also ß in the input should work fine
> (which is a simpler solution).

Using a real ess-tset would appear to be the simplest solution but I'm
using a US-dvorak keyboard layout.  I was doing a copy/paste to put it
in the file (switching temporarily to a German keyboard layout was
causing some kind of problem with X-windows, leaving me without
keyboard/mouse function after changing back).  Is there a way to input
it from the keyboard in emacs without switching layouts?  If not, the
simplest solution is to enter '"s' and hope that placing the ess-tset at
the end of a syllable is correct.  Otherwise I'll go back to my previous
solution of using sed to massage the *.tex files.

-David