Re: question: volta + dynamics

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: question: volta + dynamics
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:01:43 -0500

On Friday 12 March 2004 10:20, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

> >>fp to me implies that the note have a strong attack, followed by
> >>immediately pulling back the intensity.
> >
> > That's <sfz> sforzando.  fp is forte first time, p second time.
>
> Don't talk nonsense! The notation fp is common in lots of music
> should be performed similarly to fz and sfz (exactly how it should
> be performed depends on when the music was written and may also
> vary from composer to composer.

I went to HDM, and it says "loud, followed by soft".  I have only
seen it at the beginning of a repeated section, before the first note,
where the sense I gave it is perfectly clear.  You may have seen
it often in the sense of sfz, but I have not.  Clearly sfz is
preferable anyway?

All the more reason why it can't be implemented as a simple
\dynamic with midi, though.  Especially if it varies from
composer to composer as you say.  daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing