Re: question: volta + dynamics

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: question: volta + dynamics
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:56:30 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> I went to HDM, and it says "loud, followed by soft".  I have only
> seen it at the beginning of a repeated section, before the first note,
> where the sense I gave it is perfectly clear.  You may have seen
> it often in the sense of sfz, but I have not.  Clearly sfz is
> preferable anyway?

I have never seen fp as meaning "f forte for 1st repeat, p for 2nd
repeat" (that is denoted with f-p). fp is a type of accent/dynamic,
and fp is different from sfz (sf = sforzato):

fp dynamic is loud start followed with subito piano.

        (attack)
 ^      . .

dyn        .

  time ->

where sfz dynamic is more like

       (attack)
       .
 ^      .
 |         .
dyn            .   .

  time ->

on horn, sfz often also involves a different attack of the tongue.
(perhaps for string players bowing technique is different.) Details
vary with era where the composition originates, though.

I can imagine that you find the distinction unimportant, since the
dynamic of a note once struck cannot be altered on a piano or
guitar. For wind/string players the difference is essential.