Re: OT: How to become a mutopia-writer

From: Roland Goretzki
Subject: Re: OT: How to become a mutopia-writer
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:16:56 +0100

Hello list, hello Edward,

You wrote:

> On Sunday March 21 2004 10:09, Roland Goretzki wrote:
> >     (Furthermore the most of these notes in my mind, but I think, that
> >     it wouldn't be legal, if I would typeset it by my mind with some
> >     correcting views to these editions, am I right?)
>
> If it is a derivation of a copyrighted work, it probably does break the
> copyright holder's rights.
I thougt so, either ... :-(

> > To get a legal typesetting I need
> >
> >     1. An older Edition:
> >        How can I get it?
>
> I've asked this myself; maybe placing the reply here would be useful
> for you too.
> > [ ... long e-mail from Chris Sawer ... ]
Thanks, a little bit ... :
So I have to accumulate more energy to find out ...

> >     2. The "placet" from one (or better all) of these three editions:
> >        How can I get this?
>
> Someone else want to fill in; I don't follow the question. =/
"placet": I didn't find a good english word in this context, sorry.
In other words and with more information:

Chris Sawer itself par example did typeset the music piece "Für Elise"
from L. v. Beethoven, and in the lilypond source file he marked the
source of the music piece with:

    source = "Henle Urtext"

So, if I correctly understand the explaining on the "mutopia Legal
Issues", this would break the rights of "Henle Urtext", if this edition
wouldn't have allowed this typesetting especially.

My question is, if there is a list with editions like "Henle Urtext",
which did allow the typesetting by lilypond for the mutopia project, or
if I've to ask in every case the editions case by case, if they allow me
to do so.

Another question with "Henle Urtext" would be, if this edition allowed
the typesetting only for "Für Elise", or for all pieces of Beethoven,
or for all classic music pieces or for all works they are editing?

I hope, now You can better understand what I mean. :)

Thank You and
Best Regards           Roland