Re: OT: How to become a mutopia-writer

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: OT: How to become a mutopia-writer
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:48:47 -0500

On Sunday 21 March 2004 21:17, Hans Forbrich wrote:
> On Sunday 21 March 2004 10:09, Roland Goretzki wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I spent a lot of time on the website of mutopia, but couldn't find
> > the answers to some questions, so I ask here, because here are some
> > mutopia-writers on this mailing-list, aren't they?
> >
> > I want to typeset the studies op. 10 and op. 25 from F. Chopin with
> > lilypond for the mutopia-project.
>
> I'd asked this question before & Chris indicated there would be a
> mailing list to discuss this'real soon now'.  Since I'm in a similar
> situation, let me summarize what I know:
>
> There are two main concepts - 'copyright' and 'public domain'.  The
> copyright (das Recht Kopien, Aenderungen und Ausgaben herzustellen)
> belongs to a person or to an organization unless that person has
> assigned it, for example to a publishing copmpany.  OR it is passed
> into the Public Domain and then it belongs to everyone.
>
> All published work, including music, has several 'copyrights' that
> need to be respected.  Some of the copyrights belong to:
>
> - the music composer;
> - the poet or libretist;
> - the typeset 'editor';
> - the font creator;
> - anyone involved in 'creative additions' which may include
> -- libretto translation;
> -- fingering;
> -- comments;
> -- new ossia, new endings, and so on;
> - for performance (Records/Schallplatten), also include the artist(s)
> and any technical people involved in the production.
>
> In some cases the composer will sell the copyright to a publisher.
> For example, as far as I know, much of Pucchini's work was sold to
> Ricordi who now holds the copyright.
>
> Each country has their own copyright laws.   You must become familiar
> with the copyright law in your country before you start publishing
> using Lilypond. (Copyright lawyers have a nasty habit of sneaking up
> behind a person.)
>
> As far as I know, currently in the United States of America the
> Copyright stays with a person or organization until 125 years

70, I thought.

> after
> the death of that person. However, since the laws were changed over
> time, if the work was published

*in the U. S.*

> before a specific date (I use 1904,
> but it might be 1907),

It advances every year.  It started in 1911 or something like that,
so it was pushed back 20 years?  It's hard to keep up.  :-(  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,