Re: OT: How to become a mutopia-writer

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Re: OT: How to become a mutopia-writer
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:46:23 -0700

On Monday 22 March 2004 05:48, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

> > As far as I know, currently in the United States of America the
> > Copyright stays with a person or organization until 125 years
>
> 70, I thought.

I'm getting confused again - Canada is playing around with some ideas here as
well.  (Serves me right for relying on memory instead of looking it up.)

Project Gutenberg PD description at http://promo.net/pg/vol/pd.html is decent
pretty good at a high level outline.

> > after
> > the death of that person. However, since the laws were changed over
> > time, if the work was published
>
> *in the U. S.*

The laws are different for each country.

> > before a specific date (I use 1904,
> > but it might be 1907),
>
> It advances every year.  It started in 1911 or something like that,
> so it was pushed back 20 years?  It's hard to keep up.  :-(  daveA

Yup.  1923 is a major cutoff in the US .... anything published with a
copyright mark before 1923 has a 75 year copyright protection; after 1923 and
before 1977 has 95 year protection; anything after 1977 - hope the author has
put it into public domain (or GPL) 'cause your waiting a loooooong time.

Sorry for confusion
/Hans