Re: Newbie Q: Public access Lilypond server?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Public access Lilypond server?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:57:07 +0100

Why not help your friend install the Cygwin version of LilyPond
on his Windows machine? Works like a charm!

   /Mats

KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:
Ed, thank you for your thoughts. Here's some more of mine.

My approach to this is as a non-musician (most of you would laugh your ass off if you
heard me trying to engrave music, constantly muttering, "Every Good Boy Does
Fine..."). I'm a systems
administrator (Linux) who dances with a contra folk group, who would like to
contribute to the group by improving their sheet music. My original thought was
that I didn't need Lilypond, if I just had a system whereby I could submit .ly
files, and receive back a .pdf quickly. I especially thought of this because
I'm working with a collaborator who IS a musician, who has offered to enter the
notes and chords, but works exclusively with Windows systems. I think he'll be
more productive if he gets near-instantaneous feedback, rather than forwarding
a file to me, and waiting for me to email back the .pdf.

Your suggestion, Ed, is one that I could have kicked myself for not thinking
of. I can just give my friend remote access to my host with Lilypond, and he
can create .ly files in Notepad, upload them, Lilypond them, download the .pdf
and repeat. One reason I didn't think of this was that I'm so spoiled by my
native Linux installation, where I can edit a file in xemacs, with the Lilypond
mode, and with two keystrokes, view the ..pdf side-by-side with the code.

Another system I just thought of would be to create a procmail script, which
would accept a .ly files as the entire body of an email, would process it, and
email the sender back the output of Lilypond, with the ..pdf as an attachment.
This would eliminate or minimize the training I'd have to do with my friend, to
teach him ssh, ftp and some basic shell commands.

Thanks, again, for your thoughts. You've suggested a way to improve my
operation, without taking much more work or time.

-Kevin

"Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <address@hidden> 03/26/04 12:59AM >>>