Re: relative mode in the case of tritones

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: relative mode in the case of tritones
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:34:12 +0000

At 07:45 PM 3/31/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have a question about how tritones are treated in relative octave mode.
>The manual says that by default each interval is made to be a fourth or
>less. What happens in the case of a tritone? Is an augmented fourth
>treated differently than a diminished fifth, or is it enharmonic?
>AFAICT right now, tritones just go upward automatically -- is that
>always true? Obviously I could just experiment, but I'd like to
>suggest clarifying the documentation, and I also have a parser
>I've written for a subset of the lilypond language
>(for this program: http://www.lightandmatter.com/clamor/clamor.html),
>and I want to make sure that what it's doing is really consistent
>with what lilypond does.
>
>Thanks in advance!

I don't have the docs in front of me at the moment, but I'm sure this is
mentioned.  It *should* be that it follows the "closest note within a
fourth" rule.  And the "fourth" can be perfect, augmented, or diminished.  So:

c fes
c f
c fis

All go up.  In each case the closest f(es, is) is some sort of fourth above
c.  In these cases:

c gis
c g
c ges

All go down because g(es, is) is some sort of fourth below c.

I just woke up, I  hope I'm making sense.

-David