placement of rehearsal marks and more

From: chip
Subject: placement of rehearsal marks and more
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:48:18 -0700

Okay, so here I am once again, asking for help about placing rehearsal marks properly. I have pasted in below the file for a piece I am working on. Please try not to be too hard on me, I really am trying to learn this app, and learn it the proper way.
The problems are:
1. Adding a 'grand pause' to the top line of the staff - is this the caesura I found in the feta font section of the handbook?
2. Adding a segno to the bar line just after the 'grand pause'
3. Adding "DS Al Coda" and the segno sign to the double bar after the 44 measure rest.
4. Adding a coda sign to the beginning of the 34 measure rest
5. Padding some empty space between the to multimeasure rests to separate the main section from the coda section. 6. The line '\context Voice {\repeat "percent" 1 {...}}' near the bottom does not work as expected - a 'percent repeat' in each of the next two measures.

I can fool around with this stuff for hours and get some of it to work sort of okay, but would appreciate someone helping me understand the proper way to do these things.

Example: You'll notice I open my piece with a skip note so I can attach some text to that, but that makes an empty measure at the beginning of the piece, which really doesn't look good, so what would be the proper way to do this?

Example: When adding '\once \property Voice.TextScript...' does it go immediately before the note the text is attached to? Or somewhere before it? Or after it? This isn't clear from what I've seen in the manual, so I generally have put it a few notes before the note it is attached to.

And yes, I have asked some of this in the past, but maybe we can clear it all up in one message, once and for all. I was asked to include some examples of the problem code, so here it is, suitable to copy and paste into a new file and run lilypond against... (as it is below it is broken on the line with the ^\mark \markup... and probably elsewhere).
Thanks and regards,
Chip

\header {
title = "El Sinaloense"
instrument = "Trumpet 1"
}
\include "english.ly"
\include "paper23.ly"
\paper{ papersize = "letter"
linewidth = 190 \mm
indent = 0 \mm
                }
\score
{
\notes
\transpose f g
{
% \property Staff.TimeSignature \set #'style = #'numbered
\key f \major
\clef treble
\property Staff.Hairpin \override #'minimum-length = #5
\property Score.MultiMeasureRest \override #'expand-limit = #1
\time 3/4
\once \property Voice.TextScript \override #'extra-offset =#'(-17 . 20)
s2.^\markup {\huge \bold Mariachi}
\once \property Voice.TextScript \override #'extra-offset =#'(-25 . 2)
f''2.^\markup "Vocal Intro, Free Time Horn Intro"
\times 2/3 {f''8 f'' f''} \once \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'extra-offset =#'(5 . 0) f''2^\mark \markup {\musicglyph #"scripts-caesura"}^\markup {\musicglyph #"scripts-segno"}
c''8[ d''] e''[ f''] ~ f''4 ~
f''4 e''8[ d''] bflat'[ c'']^\markup "In time" \bar "||"
e''2.
r4 r8 f'' g'' a''
g''8. g''16 f''4 g''8 f''
e''8.[ d''16] e''8[ d''] c''8.[ e''16]
d''8[ c''] d''[ c''] bflat'[ a'] ~
\bar "|:" a'2 a'8 c''
f''8 a' c'' f'' g'' c''
f'' g'' c'' f'' g'' c''
e''8. f''16 e''8 d'' c'' bflat' \bar ":|"
a'4 c'' e''
a' c'' e''
a' c'' f''
a'' r2
R2. \bar "||"
\property Score.skipBars = ##t R2.* 44
\bar "||"
\property Score.skipBars = ##t R2.* 34
e''8. e''16 ~ e''4 g''8. f''16
e''8. e''16 ~ e''4 g''8. f''16
e''8[ e''] e''[ e''] g''8. f''16
e''2. ~
e''2.
e''2.
\property Score.skipBars = ##t R2.* 6
\context Voice {\repeat "percent" 1 {f''8.[ f''16] f''8.[ f''16] f''8.[ f''16]}}
\bar "|."