Re: Common Headings in Large Pieces

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Common Headings in Large Pieces
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 23:18:20 +1000

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 18:14, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Cc: bug-lilypond; feature request included below!
>
> If you have one \header{...} block at the top level of the file
> and another one included withing \score{...}, it seems that LilyPond
> combines the settings from both these header blocks. This may be a
> solution to your problems, since you could simply have a file with
> \header{
> title = "Mary Had a Little Lamb"
> composer = "Who knows?"
> }
> that you include in all your .ly files and then you add the
> additional information in the
> \score{
>    \header{
>      instrument = "trombone"
>    }
> }

Thanks for your prompt reply.

It works! Well, almost.

In the end I defined a separate file as you suggest. However, LilyPond
doesn't like the new \header block in the \score block. If I promote it
to top level, it overrides the \include statement. Or, depending where
exactly I put it, the \includes statement would override the \header
block.

What to do? I could one or the other, but not both.

When all else fails try the inobvious. I put the \includes statement
inside a top level \header block that included part specific fields.

And hey presto, it worked! Inobvious to me, but nice. I'd be quite happy
to submit an example for inclusion in the example set, if anyone can
tell me where to send it.

Again, thanks for your time.

Cameron