Re: Miscellaneous quesiotns

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous quesiotns
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 13:16:33 +0200

LEGRAND Jean-Marc wrote:
Hi everybody !
Bonjour tout le monde !

Very glad to reach this mailing list : I've beginning with Lilypond2.0 since 3
months, and
discovered some tricks on my own, but I still very depend on what you know
about it ! So, a few
questions :

1. I'd like to edit some of my music in lanscape layout : what should I do ?

Already answered by others.

2. I'd like to use ancient musical object in baroque music (I'm "lilyponding"
Marin MARAIS pieces
for the viol), that don't appear in Lilypond libraries. How can I create my own
libraries ? (just
like in FIANLE, where you can get such issue) ?

What do you mean by "musical objects"? If you mean articulations, I hope
you have seen the full list of available symbols at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Articulations.html
In order to add new ones, the most difficult task is to add the symbol
to the font (requires competence in the Metafont language and a good
taste for the layout). Once that's done, the rest is easy.

And now, a trick :

I couldn't manage to include properly grace notes without messing up the
general page layout (pb
with length of measures). To avoid this, I indicate
\property Score.timing = ##f  in the \note block and put the bars where I want,
regardless the real
length of my measures. It's very usefull with ancient music, where the global
beat was not always
respected. I've not tested yet, but I think that doesn't match the MIDI
behavior at all !

I'm not sure what problems you experienced with \grace{...}
(or \acciaccatura or \appoggiatura). This is the recommended approach
and helps to avoid all kind of problems when you want to match the
timing between the several parts in the piece.

  /Mats