Re: Help getting started

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Help getting started
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:34:26 +1000

I'm researching "how do I make a note head smaller" because I need to fit a few more notes on a line to keep it from going nuts and extending lines way past explicit "\break" commands. I've googled and grep'd tons of documents, and I still don't know how to do it. I've found possible solutions, but the syntax doesn't seem to work anywhere I place the commands. I've tried searching the

\override Staff.NoteHead #'font-size = #-1.0
This seems to work if you put it inside the \notes block. Its all in the program reference, but it's a nightmare to sift through and it still seems to require lots of trial and error. For example:
1) what do #' and # mean? They seem to get used a lot.
2) the Staff context here doesn't have to be created explicitly. What sort of contexts get created implicitly and how long to they last? 3) what about << >>? If I use it within a \notes block, it seems to create Voice contexts and combine them into a single staff. But what if I have
<< \new Staff {blah} \new Staff {blah} >>
or
<< \new Staff \new Voice {blah} \new Voice {blah} >>
What do the << >> do in this situation?
And is << \new Staff {\new Voice {blah} \new Voice {blah}} >> any different from the example 2 lines ago?

Thanks,
Joe