Re: totally blind user with questions

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: totally blind user with questions
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:07:04 +0000

At 04:52 AM 6/1/2004 -0400, Orlando Fiol wrote:
>Hello.  My name is Orlando Fiol.  I am a totally blind composer/arranger
>interested in using your program to write scores.  is the syntax at least
>sufficiently ASCII driven that I can indicate note names, registers and
>rhythmic values?  I figure it might be necessary to have my scores
>proofread by a sightling, but how much control over the actual composition
>of score elements do you think I'd have?  If it turns out that I would have
>great flexibility and control, how would I go about learning the notation
>syntax?
>
>Many thanks,
>Orlando

Hello Orlando,

The input syntax for LilyPond is entirely ASCII.  All note names, values
etc. are indicated by a note name (c d e f g a b) followed immediately by a
number (1 2 4 8 16 32 etc.) to indicate the value.  To indicate register
you can use absolute mode or relative mode.  In relative mode the starting
octave is indicated and then every interval is assumed to be a fourth or
less unless indicated with an apostrophe/single quote for an upward
interval of more than  a fourth or a comma for a downward interval of more
than a fourth.  The input file is then processed all at once by LilyPond.

If you are a touch typist you would likely be able to do most of your own
input; notes and rests, for example.  For output you will likely need a
proofreader.  LilyPond does many things very very well but it is often
necessary to tweak things a bit.

Hope this helps,

David