Re: Installing and starting

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Installing and starting
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:56:45 +0200

It seems that nobody has answered your question yet.
You managed to save a HTML copy (i.e. a web page) of the
test file. Make sure that you right click on the link test.ly
and choose save to file. Also, make sure that it really is called
test.ly and not test.ly.html or something like that.

You will not get any icon or start menu entry saying "LilyPond", since
what you really installed was Cygwin, which is like a UNIX/Linux
operating system that can be run in Windows. I hope you have started
reading the Tutorial, since otherwise it's impossible to do anything
useful with the program.
On the other hand, once you have passed the initial threshold, you will
hopefully find that the program produces very nice output and that it is
quicker to enter the music in a text file than using a fancy graphical
user interface, at least that's what many others have said on this
mailing list.

   /Mats

Maria Flaate wrote:
Hello,

I decided I'd download LilyPond after continuous gushing about it from some of my friends. I'm not quite a whiz with computers, but I thought I'd give it a go. I've got Windows 98 on this machine. I think I've managed to download the programme, but when it came to downloading the test as explained in step 2, I fell out of it. I've saved the test.ly file on my desktop, double-clicked, but it just comes up as an html page on the internet. I'm fairly sure we've got a PDF viewer installed. It could be that I didn't manage to install it, it took about an hour, I don't know how long it's supposed to take.

Also, when I go to the Start menu and so on, there isn't any sign of LilyPond anywhere. I don't know if it's supposed to be there along with the things that you click on to get to Word etc. (not the icons on the desktop, but inside the menu--did I mention I'm not very good at computers?), but it'd certainly help, because I don't know how I'm supposed to get access to the programme otherwise.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer. I'm looking forward to using LilyPond!

Sincerely,
Maria Flaate

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing