address@hidden Lilypond Comments!

From: svoboda
Subject: address@hidden Lilypond Comments!
Date: 21 Jun 2004 12:36:09 -0400

Hello, I have used Lilypond just last week to create a few musical
scores (pop music with a chordline, melody line, and lyrics).

Anyway I have some comments regarding usage, mainly the problems I
encountered. I can possibly fix them given some encouragement...mainly
I want to know if anything has been done to address these problems?

(I'm using LilyPond 2.2 on both RH9 Linux and Windows XP)

-> I use | a lot to separate measures, and am always running up
against the "| not at a measure boundary" warning...obviously I am
constantly having notes/measures between bars that don't add up to the
time signature. This was a major slowdown and pain to deal with...I'd
like to figure out some way to fix this problem.

One notion I have is an addition to LilyPond's emacs mode that
operates similar to Emacs's column-mode (which automatically displays
the cursor's column number on the modeline). This addition would
simply indicate on the modeline just what beat the cursor is on...or
rather how many beats lie between the cursor and the previous | or {.

With that in place, I could prevent those measure boundary warnings,
b/c I would know how 'full' each measure was when I type it in.

Has anyone attacked this problem? I could be convinced to work on a
patch if no one else has...

-> One other common error I have is notes appearing in the wrong
octave. I have been using relative pitch mode, which makes for concise
notation, but then the octave of each note depends on the octave of
the previous note, which depends on the octave of the previous note,
which... I know there is a safety check in the Lilypond compiler where
you can specify an absolute octave for a note, but I haven't used
that. That would cause a compiler warning, which is a little better.

One could attack this problem with another Emacs patch...which would
give you the absolute octave for any note under the cursor. Again, has
anyone attacked this problem, or should I tackle it?

-> Another problem is enterying lyrics to a melody, often the lyric
syllables don't match up to the melody notes, and I have to tweak the
melody or lyrics. Any attempts to solve this problem? I have several
possible solutions, but don't know what is good/possible/easy.

---> Is there a way to intersperse the lyrics and melody? Right now
lyrics are in a /lyrics context separate from the melody, so I have to
check by hand that the lyrics matches up to the melody.

---> I can't seem to put measure breaks '|' into lyrics...wouldn't
that be a useful feature to add to the language? Or can it be done
somehow?

---> I believe you can specify durations for syllables...could I
specify the rhythm of a melody in the \lyrics context, and then just
have the melody provide the pitches?

--
David Svoboda                    address@hidden
Senior Research Programmer       http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~svoboda