Re: Fingering

From: Sami Huhtala
Subject: Re: Fingering
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:29:50 +0300

Much simpler solution when the need to force a number above/below the staff is only temporary:

  c^3  forces the fingering-number above the note
  c-3  finds the 'most natural' place for the number
       (always[?] above the staff - collisions very likely when
        setting polyphonic music!)
  c_3  forces the fingering-number below the note

So basically placing a fingering-number uses the same placing policy as
the articulation marks. The most simple notation (c-3) should be ok when
 settin one-voice music, but in keyboard music particularly, when the
fingering number often show on wich hand to play the note, it is
important to have the other options too.

When fingering polyphonic music following methods are working when forcing stacked fingering-numbers

  c_1_3 and e^3^1  ( e_1^3 and e^1_3 are unreliable)

If you want a change of a finger use following code:

  c_\markup { \fontsize #-5 \number "1-3" }

Note that if you use quotation marks in numbers you must explicitly define the font-style used with \number

I find the default value of fingering paddin to be a little too
much (particularly noticeable in stacked numbers). This should help:

\override Fingering  #'padding = #0.3

- Sami Huhtala

Hallstein Lunde wrote:
After a few hours of refreshing work I finally found out how to put fingerings _beneath_ the lower staff in a piano score. As far as I know, that should be the default direction by common engraving rules. It went like this:

\override Fingering  #'direction = #-1

I would suggest that it should be added to the manual. It's nearly mentioned. And put into the piano-dynamics.ly template.

Regards
Hallstein