Can't chord lyrics?

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Can't chord lyrics?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:01:12 +1000

I can't seem to put lyrics into chords ...

There's an example of what I'm trying to do at the end of the mail.

Lilypond 2.2.3 gives lots of `Junking event; 'LyricEvent', throws away
the words `another part' but labels the central section as stanza 2.

I've tried to put the two parallel sections into different Lyrics
contexts, but then it's hard to get them all in between the two staves.
(in other words, I haven't been able to work out how to do it, short
of splitting the tune into three Voice contexts, and then aligning
each part of the lyrics in turn.)
--
\version "2.2"

words=\lyrics {
    a start part
    <<
    {
        \set stanza = "1."              % THIS DISAPPEARS
        a mid -- dle part               % THIS IS VISIBLE
    }
    {
        \set stanza = "2."              % THIS IS VISIBLE
        a noth -- er part               % THIS DISAPPEARS
    }

    and an end bit
}

tune = \notes\relative c' {
    c4 d e2
    \repeat volta 2 {
    f4 e8 e d2
    }
    c8 c b4 c2
}

accomp = \notes \relative c {
    c4 g c c |
    \repeat volta 2 {
        g g g g |
    }
    c4 g c2
}

\score {
    \context ChoirStaff <<
        \context Staff = Top \context Voice=w \tune
        \lyricsto w \new Lyrics \words
        \context Staff = bottom \notes {\clef "F" \accomp}

    \paper{}

Peter Chubb