cannot execute bash

From: C. Burton
Subject: cannot execute bash
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:32:28 -0500

1.  It cannot execute bash.exe so the program stops.

2.  I do not find any 'Home' directory and my username installed by default in
C:\Cygwin or anywhere else.  These items do not exist on my system.

3.  What is the program called Postscript?  Is there a program that should be
on the system by default called postscript?

4.  What is the name of the program that test.ly should be opened with?  ( If
right clicking, there is a menu, 'open with' ____ .  What goes in the blank? )

5.  Should the path command be any different from
C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System\Command in order for a Windows 98SE system to run
LilyPond?

6.  What is a 'terminal'?  Does terminal mean the same as the DOS Prompt?
_____

Comments:
Although I am confident that LilyPond is a good program I am having a great
difficulty getting it to run on Windows 98SE.  I believe part of the problem
is, the detailed instructions for starting LilyPond are either missing,
incomplete, vague, or obscured.  I find plenty of instructions on what to do
after the program is up and running, but little or nothing about the very first
step to take, and how to check for results.  (Other than the instructions
involving saving a file to desktop named test.ly, double clicking and seeing
that the program starts up.)  I am confident that some illustrative material
would help.  In a word, show me a picture of what the screen should look like,
and do so for at least the first three steps, especially for Windows.  Also,
there are some words that need to be illustrated or defined in a glossary, such
as 'terminal' .  Also, I do not know how or where to log in , or if it is
required to start LilyPond.

I look forward to running LilyPond on my current system.  Thank you.